Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Sunshine Soup

When I have someone in my life who is enduring something tough, just like you, I want to do something for them. With food a universal currency of comfort, I've made what I call "Sunshine Soup" my new offering. I prefer savory to sweet, and this soup is a unique alternative to baked goods or casseroles. It's a simple labor of love, easily deliverable, unexpected, and unencumbered. This soup is healthy and safe for gluten free and vegan friends; it's easy to cook in about an hour; and it's like a sunshiney warm hug. 

The recipe below is the vegan version of a carrot ginger soup with potential substitutions in parentheses.  I tend to adjust quantities as I cook, but I know these ratios below make a wonderfully smooth and creamy soup. Make your own soup thicker or thinner, tarter or sweeter, milder or spicier, etc... The recipe can be halved to make less than a full pot.  Adding curry powder or yellow Thai curry paste would easily make a Curry Carrot version (yum). This soup tastes great hot and even lukewarm--a winner for all seasons.

Sunshine Soup (Carrot Ginger)

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs of whole carrots, peeled and chopped in chunks
  • One white onion, chopped
  • I added two small sweet potatoes to today's batch, peeled and chopped, but this is optional
  • A bunch of garlic, chopped
  • A sizeable knob of ginger, peeled and chopped--I prefer light ginger, so add more at this stage if you want "ginger forward" flavor
  • One seeded and chopped jalapeno or Thai chili, depending on your/friends' spice tolerance
  • Coconut oil or olive oil--enough to saute onions and garlic (substitute butter if desired)
  • A carton of vegetable broth (or chicken if desired)
  • Two cans of coconut milk (milk or cream if desired)--Note:  this soup can also be made WITHOUT coconut milk if that's not your jam--to keep it vegan, add more broth to reach desired consistency at the blender stage
  • Salt to taste
  • 1TBS turmeric
  • 1/2 to 1 cup citrus juice--I squeezed orange into the soup initially and then lime and lemon into later to taste, making it "brighter"
Making the Soup:
  • In a sizeable pot, saute onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno in oil until onions are tender/translucent
  • Add carrots (and optional sweet potato), turmeric, and juice; saute for a bit and then add broth
  • Bring vegetables in broth to a boil and then simmer on low for 15-20 minutes until carrots are soft/easily cut through with a spoon
  • Remove pot from heat; add a can of coconut milk and stir
  • Blend with immersion blender (or in portions in a blender) until smooth.  My soup was too thick without the second can of coconut milk and was perfect after I added it.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  At this stage I added more citrus in squeezes until the soup tasted just right (IYKYK--and it's your own taste buds that know :))
Possible Garnishes/Toppings:
  • I like a little dash of carraway seed with my carrot soup--pictured above.  Crunchy roasted chick peas are also awesome
  • A friend who received this soup added her own seed mix on top for some crunch/texture, including pumpkin, sunflower, chia, and hemp seeds (this friend also claims the soup makes a great salad dressing!?)
  • Cilantro (or a dollop of cilantro lime pesto?) would be delicious too, along with some sour cream/yogurt
  • French fried/crunchy onions
Warm sunshiney hugs come in many versions and forms.  I hope you give and receive many!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sunshine soup, how lovely! Your hug was well received, so thoughtful🧡