Monday, September 7, 2009

Daily Bread

This morning I drank my coffee and read this lovely account of his typical workday, written by the cousin and son of dear friends of mine. My journey to Africa began when a friend and I studied African history together in college, and it was his family's connections to a Kenyan school which landed me a teaching job there for a year in 1996-97. My friend's cousin--the author of this piece--and his family became my home away from home in Kenya, and I am forever grateful for them.

It seems appropriate to post this link today, on Labor Day, as Eston thoughtfully describes his job, Kenya and its people, and the evolution of work in that country brought on by climate change and political upheaval.

1 comment:

Heather P.C. said...

Thank you for sharing Estoni's piece. It was lovely to imagine myself riding along in that plane even with the dire climatic and political conditions he describes. I do hope it rains a good, long, gentle spell soon.