Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bring Your Updog

"What's 'updog'?" you ask.

I don't know!  What's up with you?!!

I revive that silly joke every couple of months with the girls, because it never seems to lose its hilarity with the elementary school set. 

What's up with this dog, though?  I know; I haven't written in a week!  I've been cooking curry, building more sandcastles, running, getting to know my newly-minted five-year-old (geez!  Five comes in like a lion!), having sleepovers, connecting with former students who need a little TLC, and, well, doing laundry and emptying the dishwasher. 

Speaking of emptying the dishwasher, I thought about writing about Marital Stalemates this week.  You know, the silent detentes that occur when neither partner cares to complete a task and both parties passively/aggressively work around it? 

For example, my husband will wash many dishes rather than empty the dishwasher and reload it.  And, on occasion, I will pile on.  Eventually, someone breaks (or occasionally a dish). 

There's something more reassuring than annoying, I've decided, about recognizing the silent dialogues which occur in the context of a marriage.  The paper towel roll, for example, placed next to but not into its holder, utters a familiar refrain.  As does the pile of clean laundry I shove back in the dryer versus fold when friends come over.  The lone beer bottle in the fridge...or the last beer taken.  The reusable grocery bags waiting by the front door to return to the car trunk.  The dog needing to go out and the child awake in the middle of the night.  My parents employed rock-paper-scissors for diaper changes, etc.  Tag, you're it, we mumble as we roll over or lie still, feigning sleep.  While the other sighs and gets up. 

The whisper of exasperation but ultimate patience we have for each other is actually...wonderful. 

That's all!

No comments: