Saturday, February 28, 2009

Small Fry

Yesterday my daughters and I were talking about our family. I still have that unresolved yen for a third child and from time to time I gather data on where my two extant children stand on the possibility of a third.

Our youngest loves babies, so her position on the issue is well known. Her big sister loves her younger cousins and the new babies who have recently joined our neighborhood, but her thoughts are generally more measured.

"You're only a little sister right now, but if we had another baby, you'd be a big sister, too," I pointed out to our youngest.

"While you only get to be a big sister," I acknowledged to our eldest. "I was the oldest of all my brothers and sisters, too, and what I always wished for was a big brother."

My five-year-old daughter thought about that.

"I would like a little brother," she offered, "but pretty soon he would become my big brother, because I don't grow very much."

"You are little," I agreed, assessing my munchkin of a kindergartener.

"I know," she sighed. "I am the smallest in my class and all the kids tell me that."

Her 5'3.5" "tall" mother reminded her, "You know, there are some advantages to being small."

"Yes," she grinned, "I'm cute."

1 comment:

Kate said...

She IS cute! No doubt about that.