Saturday, November 10, 2007

freak show

I am mustering up the required energy to chaperone the high school Homecoming Dance tonight. As the designated "Freak Napper," I will be roaming the dance floor wielding an imposing flashlight, whose beam is meant to identify and, hopefully, discourage "freak" dancing. The students have become so accustomed to me invading the dance floor that some of the boys see me coming and actually do a comical routine of exaggerated gyrations just to make light of the roles we play (them: testers of the line; me: rule-enforcing adult). At some point tonight I will mock my own generation's contribution to the continuum of dance trends by doing the "Sprinkler Head" (since I could never pull off "Running Man").

Meanwhile, in the living room, my daughter is dressed up in a tutu doing an impromptu ballet to Colbie Caillat's song "Bubbly."

No comments: