Friday, November 16, 2007

Packing, unpacking, folding, unfolding...repacking...

My daughters and I depart tomorrow morning for a weekend trip to visit friends who live a one-hour airplane ride away. Living moment to moment as I have been, it wasn't until after work and picking up the girls that I began thinking about packing and preparing to get away. My strategy for determining what to bring and assessing my progress is making a big pile of all the things we need to take and adding and subtracting from it. This looked like a fun game for my almost-two-year-old, who methodically emptied her drawers to add to my stack. All of her clothes. Systematically, armload by armload, destroying my organizational strategy by exclaiming "More jammies!" and throwing them on the heap. At this point, I am not sure what I packed in the bag nor what I tossed back into her drawers, after she was safely distracted by another task: putting on a flowered turtleneck like a pair of pants.

No comments: