Thursday, November 15, 2007

The greatest Joy/the greatest Pain

After I gave birth to my first child, a dear friend of mine told me something I will never forget. She confided, "Now that you're a parent, you will know the greatest joy, and the greatest pain." Although I suspect I have yet to suffer the greatest pain, this quote from Keri Russell, in an article about her titled "The Felicity of Motherhood" in the latest issue of Newsweek, reminds me of the wider range of emotion I've experienced since having children:

6. Actually, being a mom isn't always felicity: "I thought when you have a baby, you get this wisdom. But I still feel like a kid. I'm really happy, and I feel really crazy, too. I cry. I break glasses on the floor. I have spaz attacks. I feel rage I've never felt. Your heart and your feelings expand. In a way, it's nice. You're living more."

Yep.

No comments: